Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Flood

If you know me IRL or have been following for a while, you remember Teddy. If you're new, click here to catch up.

For some reason, we didn't get our dog Jackson fixed, or neutered, early like we should have. My husband felt bad for him and I was lazy to make the appointment, so we kept putting it off until it just never happened. He's a year and a half now, and most dogs can be neutered as soon as their balls drop at around 4-6 months old.

Ruby is fixed, so we wouldn't have to worry about puppies with a boy dog that wasn't, but it is a bit awkward going to the dog park with his huge balls dangling down for the world to see. Also, Jackson is a serious marker (as in he pees on every single tree on walks and at the park and if we go somewhere new, he'll usually mark something there). Over Thanksgiving weekend, someone started talking about a male dog they had who used to mark the baby. The dog would PEE on the BABY. All the time. As soon as I heard this, I looked at my husband and told him it was time for the big snip. I called that Monday and made the appointment for today.

When we first got Jackson, just a couple of months after Teddy died, I took him to a new vet because I couldn't bear going back to the same place where I had to put Teddy down. However, this new place was very expensive. The other place was much more reasonable, plus they come highly recommended from several rescues in the area. So, for Jackson's neuter, I made the appointment at the old vet figuring it would be fine since it had been a year and a half since I went through one of the most difficult experiences of my life there.

Well, on the way this morning, the memories flooded back and I started crying. I kept thinking about Teddy and worrying that something bad would happen to Jackson. When we got there (we meaning Jackson and I), I pulled myself together and took him in. However, once I had to sign the papers that said that if something happened the doctor had permission to resuscitate him, I lost it again. I explained to the techs that I had to put a dog down there a year and a half earlier, so I was very emotional about being back and they were so nice. They reassured me that they would take good care of him and sent me on my way.

I cried the whole way home, but was ok when I was able to snuggle Ruby. I took a nice long nap (it was amazing) because I felt so drained from the whole experience. I can't imagine how I'll handle my own kids getting hurt or going through any medical procedures.

Jackson is home now and doing well. He's a bit drugged and groggy, but doesn't seem to be in any pain and I can tell he wants to run around and play.

Photo by Michelle York

Before I had dogs, I never understood why people would get so emotional over their animals. Now I understand that, for some, pets become part of the family. I can't imagine life without our dogs. It would be so boring! They are such a source of comfort and love to me and I know we'll always have dogs as part of our family.

If you have pet, are they a part of your family? If not, do you ever plan to get any in the future?

4 comments:

Jen said... [Reply to comment]

Our pup Rusty is definitely part of the family. We took forever to get him fixed as well (also because The Hubs felt sorry for him). I was so worried about him when he was having it done, so I made The Hubs bring him and pick him up!
He's very rambunctious and sometimes naughty, but we still love him TONS! :-)

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

So sorry to read about Teddy, that must have been so tough. Glad to hear things are going well with Jackson!

A Long Far View said... [Reply to comment]

I didn't know about Teddy and I'm so sorry that you had to go through that! BUT - I can't get over how similar he looks to my dog, Cody (who ate a bar of chocolate last night, so I've been making my husband email me all day telling me he's fine!). Seeing those puppy pictures makes me smile since that's probably what Cody looked like that little (I got him from a shelter when he was about 5-6 months old).

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry you had such an emotional day yesterday, but I am completely there with you on dogs being a part of the family. We had dogs growing up, but Cody is the first dog who's really mine (and now my husband's). I can't imagine life at this point without him!

Angela said... [Reply to comment]

My Petey Pug is DEFINITELY my baby! He would even let me carry him in a sling if I wanted to! (I ask him all the time and he gets all excited...lol.) Cinnamon is a daddy's girl, but since I adopted her before I even met my husband, she still has a special place in her heart for me. :-) I would absolutely spaz if I lost one of them right now! Both are adopted, so I didn't get to see them as puppies, but I LOVE them both so very much!

xo,
A

Related Posts with Thumbnails